vendredi 17 avril 2015

- Interview for Primitive Ways Zine -



- Interview  with  Adrien  vocalist  and  all  Instruments  of  Vociferian  done  by   Patrick S. -

1.Hails  Adrien  When  did  you  first  discover   metal  music? Who  were  some  of the  first bands  you   listened to?

Salutations to you, your fanzine and all the readers of it. About your first question, it all depends about how you define "metal music".

To answer more easily to your interrogation, I can say that music really has touched me when I was around 8 years old. Discovering this way different style of sound very accidentally, just watching TV, where I've been able to see a video from Guns N'Roses... Then it was a pure revelation for me. It immediately gave me a thrill that from there I've been always searching and I'm still carving for nowadays, of course. I knew at this time, that something like a seed has been rooted in me and that it would never stop growing until I die.


2.Adrien  you   formed  Vociferian  in   1998   what  gave  you  the  idea  to  form  this band/project?How  did  you  come  up  with  the  name  for  the  band?
  
I was already inloved at this period in some local bands. And was already disappointed about the lack of seriousness and involvement of friends and muscians that I used to play with.
In the meantime I was already verry influenced myself, by the 90's great era of the purest and traditional black metal scene with some hints of death metal and black death metal roots as well.

Finally the necessity to form something unique and shape it all by myself without any other protagonist behind of it just came as an evidence, something very natural. As I've always been someone lost deep in my internal questioning and thoughts you know... lonesome and introspective.


3.Adrien   you  are  the  sole  member  of    Vociferian   did you  plan  to  keep     Vociferian  a one man  band  or  have you  ever  looked for  other  members to  join? 
  
Vociferian will always be a one man band, because it's the purest nature of it. To me, it would have absolutely no sense to change its structure in what makes of it its real entity actually.
For example, Vociferian has never played any live shows until now, and I don't think that it will happen one day. Even if I'm not of those who close the door to any possibility... time will tell.

For now, I recently took the decision to require the skills of a session drummer. Not that I couldn't do the work myself, just that  regarding my personal life and planning deadlines it has become difficult for me not to delegate this part of the creating process. Hopefully, I found trust in a very good musician and drummer who works it all with all the seriousness and expectations that I ask for. He is very involved and ready to work it enough to make it  100% in the shape I'm waiting for.


4.If  you   had the  opportunity  to  work  with  any  musican's  {past  or  present}  who  are  some musicians  you  would  like  to  work  with?

Something probably absolutely impossible... but if this could happen... Guys of GN'R in the very early 90's or at the opposite work on something with mister Morgan Hakansson would be a with great pleasure and honor for me of course.


5.How  would  you  say   Vociferian's   music   has  changed   over  the  years? Who  are  some of the  biggest  influences  for  this  band? 
  
Vociferian had many shapes since its creation, and it's also what is fully part of it's unique entity. It has been first influenced by the 2nd wave of the 90's "traditional" black metal scene, with the grimness, coldness and very scandinavian and european elitist imprint. And later it has been more filled with the aggression of unadulterated satanic despise and ferocity of the blackest emanations of evil orthodoxy and bestial darkness. Finally it often returns to roots with the natural breeze breathing by the forests and earthly energies like for example you can feel it listening to the "Beredsamkeit" opus. If I really had to mention of very few influences I wouldn't be that original, just saying Immortal, Marduk, Impaled Nazarene, Bathory, Vinterland, Ildjarn, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Von, Sarcofago, Impiety, Beherit ... you know, nothing that out-of-the-box. As we all know where we are coming from... end of 80's & the 90's golden era of these genres


6.Does  Vociferian   have  any  new  merchandise  or  releases  coming  out  this  year? If  yes  can  you   please  let  the  fans  know  when  it  will be  available  and  where  can  the  fans  buy the  stuff?

Recently, a limited edition of a Long Sleeve Shirt and a Hooded Sweater has been released by Jinn Merchandising who officially release licenced merch for great names like Impiety, Enthroned, Nargaroth and so on... I heard that  the hoodies are already sold out and there will be no reprint of them as it was a special occasion release in the name of the "Possezed Worshiperz Ov Doom" track that was figuring on the "Triumphant Usurper Beast" album release of 2005. A great design that was created for it by the artist who lately worked the principal sigil of the Marduk "Front Schwein" release and merchandising. A few items of the Long Sleeve must still be available and you can find contact searching for "Jinn Merchandise" on Facebook. We are also seeing to produce some new Vociferian official logo metallic pins/bages with the same merchandising provider from Asia.

Another Hooded Sweaters entitled "Jugement" is in preparation, fully printed (sleeves and hood printed).
I'm particularly expecting for this one that will be released by a US label. Because it is really well representative about the way Vociferian is nowadays taking...
The spirit and mind of it of now. We also worked it with the same artist as mentioned above, and he really satisfied all my expectations concerning it.
So don't miss this really great merchandising release VERY soon out. Just keeping an eye opened on these pages:

www.facebook.com/vociferian
http://vociferian.blogspot.com/vociferian


7. Adrien   when  did  you  first  start  playing  the  guitars?  Are  you  self-taught   or  did you take  lessons  when  first  starting  out?
  
I learned a bit about playing guitar since I was around 10 years old, I had a few lessons with a music teacher then. I've been teached a very few about "solfege", just enough to get on a classic guitar and start practicing.

Of course I put my hands on an electric guitar quickly after that. And as my ear was already enough skilled to recognize notes in a song that appreciated for example and try to find these same notes back on the neck of my guitar, then the lessons of my teacher didn't appeal me that much from there and I prefered to practice all by myself searching for things I'd like to play, composing personal stuff and so on... So I think that I'm more of a self-taught musician in the end, to answer you well.


8.Who  are  some  of your influences /favorite   guitarists? Besides  singing  and  playing the guitars  what  other  instruments do  you  play?  Are their  any  instruments you  would  like to learn  someday?

As favorite guitarsists I could mention Slash (not original, but he does the job for what is for me the biggest "guitar hero" of this planet), Kirk Hammett (even lacking of "feeling" beside of Slash as an example), for the black metal investigation I would still think of Morgan Hakansson even if some other great names of the scene may be very  much more talented and expert... I like a lot his way of composing some very tough and straight warring hymns... I like a very too long list of other musical subgenres which includes great guitarists so that would be really to hard for me to mentioned all those who I admire here of course.

I play drums of course, as I used to record all instruments myself, and the same for bass guitar... also a bit of keyboard and piano (very few)


9.Adrien  you  also  handle  the  vocals  for the  band  when  did you  first become  interested in singing/growling? Do  you  do  anything  special  to  keep  your  throat/voice  healthy ?Who  are some  of your  favorite  vocalist?

I started "growling" very young (maybe 12),  just after being confronted to my first listen at some "deep grunted vocals" thrash and death metal acts of course. I was so impressed by such a morbid way to express yourself by the vocals that I immediately attempted to do the same... and well... it came very naturally actually. I mean, I never really thought about how doing  this. It was like a second nature already there and I just  had to let it burst out from inside me. 

I have no special trick or advice to keep your voice safe and healthy. I mean that's true that sometime you have to get some rest for your throat to recover well before torturing it again that way. And I often take care of it, when I know that I'm about to record some new vocals sessions of course.
 

10.In  your   opinion  what  is  the  best  and  worst  thing  about  the  underground   metal  scene  today? And  what  does  the  term  Underground metal  mean  to  you?

I will answer first to the second side of your question. Because it's really simple for me to say that Underground means "against the main stream". All is said in it, nowadays something known or less known does have no importance. You have to fight for your own ideas, for what you believe in... not for what a group or "pseudo elite" may think. THIS is what I consider as the spirit of this word : UNDERGROUND

Today the underground scene is polluted and very saturated. There are too much new things, to much polluting bands that have absolutely no culture and no honor, no background and only here to proclaim their poor "fame" with no glory. While some other great names are just drowned with the rest of this filth and therefore can't emerge the way they should deserve...
Here is how I see the scene today. People are also always more less buying that  downloading, which is a sad reality... but we are here and until it's the case the scene will stand and still!


11.Besides   Vociferian   you  were  also  in  the  mighty  Luger  band  when  did you  form  this band?  How  would  you  say the  music  was different  then  Vociferian's?
  
Lüger was formed in 200/2003. It was meant to produce a militarist blackened death metal act, with the coldness of war and elitism of totalitarian imagery... as well as the irreverence and heavy weight of a horned divison of panzers. Our intentions at this time was to be the european response to a band such VON, embraced with the atmospheres of the iron legions.


12.I read  on  your  F.B  page  that  you  are getting ready to  re-release the  Kill,Worship  and Die  on  Lp   what  label  will  this  be  through? How  many copies  are  available?

It will be very limited: 300 copies! As the CD version that had been out 10 years ago was sold out the year of its release in 2005 (limited to 1000 items).
DEATHCAMP RECORDS has just opened the pre-orders of the LP edition which will include a fantastic alternative cover artwork.
You can place pre-order for 20€ + postage at deathcamprecords@hotmail.com


13.Will you  or  any  label's  be  releasing  Kill,Worship  and  Die   on  cd  or  possibly  cassette format?  Why  did  the  band  stop/break-up? Have  you  ever thought  of  bringing  it  back  from the dead?
  
There will be no other re-edition, that's the integrity of the band that I want to preserve this way. Those who have the  first CD edition are lucky to have such a great collector in their hands. That's also why I wanted an alternative artwork for the LP edition. This way both release will stay totally unique and rare!

I don't want to come back on the reason about the initial split of the band. It has been apolemic for too long and I prefer to look  and move forward.
I always stand and turn my eyes towards tomorrow than being passive and wasting my time with lost feuds from the past.


14.Besides    Vociferian     are you  currently  working  with  any  other  bands or  projects? If yes   please  tell  the  readers  about  them?
  
Of course I do. Soon will be out the whole discography of Macabra (my death metal band with Mark Riddick) on the norwaygian label Apocalyptic Empire Records. Ebauche Noire debut album will also appear on a Digipack this summer on Nyarlathotep Records (Brazil)... For 2016 we are thinking about the LP edition of the Goatholocaust "Satan Jugend" full length for the decade of its original release on Infernus Rex (RIP) Netherlands...

A 4 way 7' split EP with Vociferian/Manticore/ Obeisance/Infernal Execrator is scheduled for this year and I'm seriously working on the next Vociferian full length which will be once more a very personal and unique piece in its concept and interpretation.


15.Thank  you  Adrien   for  taking  the  time to  fill this  interview   out do  you  have  any final  words  for  the  readers?

3 ones: OBEY PROFANATORY FORCES!

1 commentaire: